The application period for Class XI is closed. Please check back later for future MARL opportunities.
APPLY FOR MARL CLASS XI!
Selection into the MARL program is a competitive process that occurs every two years.
WHO is encouraged to apply?
- An individual who is committed to agriculture and/or rural Minnesota
- An individual who is committed to the program with time and energy
- An individual who is a resident of Minnesota, 21 years or older
- An individual who has some leadership experience in the community or other organizations
- An individual who demonstrates open-mindedness and willingness to engage with difference
- An individual who brings unique experiences and viewpoints to the cohort
- An individual who has the ability to positively represent MARL and rural Minnesota
MARL members will be expected to attend eleven seminars during the 18-month program. MARL Seminars are normally held from Noon Wednesday to Noon Friday, with some exceptions. The time commitment for seminars of MARL Class XI will be 21 days the first year and 24 days the second year. Nine seminars rotate around the state, one is held in Washington, D.C. in Year 1, and an international study seminar will be held abroad – destination t.b.d., in Year 2.
After completion of the 11 seminars, a dedicated group of alumni awaits the graduates.
When assembling a cohort for a class, the Board of Directors of MARL seeks diversity of all types, including race, ethnic background, geography, gender, rural and natural resource sectors (including agriculture, forestry and mining, rural economic development), etc. It is an objective to have a majority of the participants be active agricultural producers and the remainder be professionals from for-profit agribusinesses, non-profits, government agencies, educational/academic sectors or those who hold other rural leadership positions.
Tuition is a fraction of the true cost of participation, as each cohort is generously supported by alumni, friends, organizations, foundations, corporations, the University of Minnesota Extension and Southwest Minnesota State University and its Foundation.
Tuition costs for Class XI is $6,000 for the program, payable in four installments. This covers:
- lodging (based on a lodging rotation with double occupancy)
- travel expenses (bus, airfares, travel insurance for the international study seminar)
- most meals during the program
Out of pocket costs include travel to in-state seminar locations and points of departure (normally MSP International) for out of state seminars , and some independent meals.
Tuition may be sponsored by various sources, including organizations, commodity- and community groups. Tuition scholarships may be available. Candidates are encouraged to contact the MARL office to discuss any possibilities.
SELECTION TIMELINE FOR CLASS XI
- January – April 24, 2020: Applications accepted
- April 24, 2020: Applications and references due
- May 26, 27, 28, 29 and June 1, 2020: Interviews
- June 30, 2020: Class XI selection announced
- November 23-24, 2020: Kick-Off Seminar
Class XI Program Schedule and Curriculum
(Sites, schedule, and seminar topics subject to change)
|Seminar #1 — Orientation and a Framework for Leadership
November 23-24, 2020 — St. Cloud
|Seminar #2 — Trait Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
December 16-18, 2020 — Marshall
|Seminar #3 — Emerging Markets, Innovation and New Trends
January 19-22, 2021 — St. Paul
|Seminar #4 — National Study Seminar
February 28- March 5, 2021 — Washington D.C.
|Seminar #5 – Communities – Big and Small
April 7-9, 2021 — Crookston
|Seminar #6 — Timber, Taconite & Tourism
June 23-25, 2021 – Duluth
|Seminar #7 — Natural Resources and the Environment
November 15-17, 2021 — N. Minn.
|Seminar #8 — Rural America’s Future December 15-17, 2021 — SE Minn.||Seminar #9 — Rural Development Diversity
January 19-21, 2022 — Central Minn.
|Seminar #10 — International Study Seminar
Between February 27 – March 19, 2022 — Destination TBD
|Seminar #11 — Class XI Graduation
April 8-9, 2022 — Mankato
Instructions on how to apply, including an application form and other documents, are now available , at www.marlprogram.org/application-forms/.
or watch a quick presentation by clicking HERE.
INTERESTED? KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE?
Connect and be a part of shaping the future of agriculture in Minnesota. Register yourself or nominate a candidate for MARL Class XI.
Complete the form available through the link below, and return to: MARL, 1501 State St., Marshall, MN 56258, or submit the online form below.
Interest and Nomination Form