APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR MARL CLASS XII (2022-2024)
PLEASE CHECK AGAIN EARLY 2024 TO APPLY FOR CLASS XIII
Selection into the MARL program is a competitive process that occurs every two years. Apply in only a few simple steps:
- Complete the online Application Form.
- Ask 3 references to complete the online Recommendation Form.
- If applicable, ask your employer to complete the online Employer Consent Form.
- Participate in a 30-min. online interview
You are encouraged to apply, if
- You are committed to agriculture and/or rural Minnesota.
- You are committed to the program with time and energy.
- You are a resident of Minnesota, 21 years or older.
- You have some leadership experience in the community or other organizations.
- You demonstrate open-mindedness and willingness to engage with difference.
- You are committed to learning and personal growth.
- You bring unique experiences and viewpoints to the cohort.
Participants are expected to attend eleven seminars during the 23-month program period; mostly in-person, but also with online content. The time commitment for seminars of MARL Class XII will be 16 days in Year 1 (2022-2023), and 21 days in Year 2 (2023-2024. Nine seminars rotate around the state. In year 2 seminars will also be held in Washington, D.C. abroad – destination t.b.d..
- 2-hour online sessions will be scheduled in fall 2022 (Year 1) and summer 2023 (Year 2).
- An individual capstone project of the participant’s choice (Year 2).
- A 4-hour online session will be scheduled in fall 2023 (Year 2).
- Not part of the Class XII experience, but open to all: social events, such as the Farmfest Picnic, Golf tournament, etc..
- As you may expect: the more time you dedicate to your growth and learning, the more you will benefit from this exclusive program.
After completion of the 11 seminars, a dedicated group of alumni awaits the graduates.
When assembling a cohort, the Board of Directors of MARL seeks diversity of all types, including race, ethnic background, geography, gender, rural and natural resource sectors (including agriculture, forestry and mining, rural economic development), etc. It is an objective to have a majority of the participants be active agricultural producers and the remainder be professionals from for-profit agribusinesses, non-profits, government agencies, educational/academic sectors or those who hold other rural leadership positions.
Tuition is a fraction of the true cost of participation, as each cohort is generously supported by alumni, friends, organizations, foundations, corporations, the University of Minnesota Extension and Southwest Minnesota State University and its Foundation.
Tuition costs for Class XII is $6,000 for the program, payable in installments – $2,500 for Year 1 (2022-2023) and $3,500 for Year 2 (2023-2024). This covers:
- A rigorous leadership curriculum including assessment tests, excursions, social events during seminars
- lodging during seminars (based on a lodging rotation with double occupancy)
- travel expenses (bus, airfares, travel insurance for the international study seminar)
- several, but not all meals during the program
Out of pocket costs include travel to in-state seminar locations and points of departure (normally MSP International) for out of state seminars , some independent meals, occasional in-seminar transportation such as metro and share-rides, parking, thank you notes, business cards, and if applicable: flight deviations. Individual expenses related to the international seminars, such as vaccinations and passport fees are out-of-pocket.
Tuition may be sponsored by various sources, including organizations, commodity- and community groups. Tuition scholarships may be available. Candidates are encouraged to contact the MARL office to discuss any possibilities.
SELECTION TIMELINE FOR CLASS XII
- January – April 29, 2022: Applications accepted
- April 29, 2022: Applications and references due
- May 31-June 6, 2022: Interviews – held online
- June 30, 2022: Class XII selection announced
- August 3, 2022: Welcome & Celebration Event
Class XII Program Schedule
(Sites and schedule subject to change)
August 3, 2022 – Redwood Falls
Dec. 13-15, 2022 – MN t.b.d.
Jan. 18-20, 2023 – Mankato
Feb. 15-17, 2023 – Hybrid online/small regional groups
March 29-31, 2023 – St. Paul
June 22-24, 2023 – MN t.b.d.
Celebration Year 1
Dec. 4-7, 2023 – D.C.
Jan. 24-26, 2024 – MN t.b.d.
9-10 days between Feb. 17-Mar 3, 2024 – International
April 3-5, 2024 – Hybrid online/small regional groups
June 21-22, 2024 – MN t.b.d.
Capstone presentations, Graduation
|Two-hour online sessions will be scheduled in fall 2022 (Year 1) and summer 2023 (Year 2). A four-hour online session will be scheduled in fall 2023 (Year 2).|
INTERESTED? KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE?
Connect and be a part of shaping the future of agriculture and rural Minnesota. Apply yourself or nominate a candidate for MARL Class XII.
Complete the form available through the link below, and return to: MARL Program, 1501 State St., Marshall, MN 56258, or submit the online form below.
Interest and Nomination Form